This week I had my class progress crit. I think it went fairly well. I got posed with lots of good questions that I needed to answer. I thought about them afterwards, though I still want to do a bit more thinking before I come with complete answers. I am glad I had that crit for that purpose.
I also came across another blow out on my scale this week. I know that I did not seam my mold well, which is why it blew out. I knew before I poured it something seemed weird, but I decided to try it anyways. Bad move. Oh well. The next cast went fine, though the next was another blow out. I asked my peer Oliver Reed for help and he thought that it could be that also I was using plasticine to plug my seam instead of actual clay. He also thinks I should try a mother mold out of wood to keep the clay in place as well. So I made the wood panels to hold the clay in place this week. Next week I will see if that works out.
I made a mold to help my casts keep shape while drying as well since I can only mold so many at a time because they begin to cave in. I also did some mason stain colorant testing for my porcelain slip, and finished a chain this week as well. Then I loaded the kiln up with my tests and a few scales.